Producing publications for a wide variety of audiences—alumni and friends as well as faculty, staff, and prospective students—is our forté. We're here to consult, advise, and help faculty and staff produce media items. If you have a quick question on graphics, posters or brochures, or promotional materials, we are here to help.
- Undergraduate and graduate student recruitment efforts
- Internal communication
- Institutional advancement efforts
- 1300 Elmwood magazine
- Annual reports
Print Publication Policies
Buffalo State College logos, typography, and color palettes combine to create a distinct visual identity for the institution, while Buffalo State’s editorial style guide helps the college standardize and unify its written communications.
All departments at Buffalo State College must follow the institution’s communication standards to maintain a strong, consistent visual identity and messaging.
Our publications team can meet with you early in the process to:
- Discuss your project and offer suggestions for reaching your targeted audience.
- Help to determine schedules and budgets.
- Determine a strategy (may include anything from a poster or website to an e-mail or advertising campaign)
- Who is your audience?
- What is your primary message?
- What do you want this audience to do in response to this message?
- What are the best ways to reach your audience?
- How will you know that your project has been successful?
Steps can include the following:
- Meet with our publications team to determine focus, audience, distribution method, and budget
- Approve draft content and design
- Arrange for photographs, interviews, etc.
- Create publication
- Copy-edit all content
- Sign off on final mock-up
- Send project to printer or another vendor
- Product delivery
- Depending on how involved your project is, allow for six to 15 weeks of production time, start to finish
- Allow extra time, if mailing
- All jobs must be scheduled by our office
- We may not be able to take on new work without proper lead time.
- Outside vendors must provide a written quote
- You must have a purchase order placed well in advance
Once Marketing and Communications completes a publication for print, an accessible PDF of that publication may be provided to a department/office upon request.
The department/office is responsible for making all documents on their websites accessible, including PDFs.
The Marketing and Communications Office can provide the following to college departments when resources* permit:
- Professional writing
- Editorial services
- Copy-editing services
*Freelancers can also be called upon to help with enough lead time and funding.